It is said that when you know the books a person keeps and the ones they give away, you have a window into their soul. Actually, I don’t know if that’s “said” because I’m pretty sure I just made it up. Nevertheless, below is a list of books I’m giving away today to Got Books? — which sends donated books overseas to our troops, or gives them to educators or nonprofits here in the U.S — glean what insight you can from it:
- Agee, Jonis. A .38 Special and a Broken Heart. Minneapolis: Coffee House P, Distributor, Consortium Books Sales & Distribution, 1995.
- Carre, John Le. The Constant Gardener. New York: Pocket Star, 2005.
- Crossette, Barbara. Great Hill Stations of Asia. New York: Basic Books, 1999.
- Faulkner, William. The Sound and the Fury. New York: Vintage, 1954.
- Fenby, Jonathan. France On the Brink: A Great Civilization Faces a New Century. Grand Rapids: Arcade, 2000.
- Harr, Jonathan. A Civil Action. New York: Vintage Books, 1996.
- Hays, Rebecca, ed. The Cook’s Guide to Boston Restaurants, 2001-2002. New York: Boston Common P, 2001.
- Hosseini, Khaled. A Thousand Splendid Suns. New York: Riverhead Books, 2007.
- Koski-Karell, Art, ed. The Unofficial Guide to Life at Harvard. Cambridge, Mass.: Unofficial Publications, Harvard Student Agencies, Inc., 2000.
- Lahiri, Jhumpa. The Namesake. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2003.
- Lewis, Michael. Panic!: The Story of Modern Financial Insanity. New York: W.W. Norton & Co., 2009.
- Lieven, Anatol. The Baltic Revolution Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and the Path to Independence. New York: Yale UP, 1994.
- Palmer, Grant H. An Insider’s View of Mormon Origins. New York: Signature Books, 2002.
- Shakespeare, William. All’s Well That Ends Well. New York: Washington Square P, 2001.
- Steinsaltz, Adin. The Thirteen Petalled Rose. New York: Basic Books, 1985.
Thanks again to EasyBib for letting me indulge my bibliography predilection.